Hello, Eyeliner and Erasers Readers! So glad to be here today to share a fun recipe with you all. My name is Linda, and I blog at Brunch with Joy. I recently came back from a vacation to Indonesia and if you read my previous post, I shared a bit about chicken skewers. It was not a coincidence that I shared another chicken skewers recipe today, especially since chicken skewer is a must-eat food when you visit the country.
There are many ways and places that you can enjoy chicken skewers. The most popular was the hawker-style stalls, which open till late night, where we could enjoy chicken skewers for supper. Yes, 10 pm is never too late for chicken skewers. In fact, the later the time is, the merrier the crowd that gathered to enjoy the dish.
Since Summer is coming, I thought of making my chicken skewers with mango salsa. We managed to do some barbecues while the weather is still being cooperative. This mango salsa gives a nice tropical touch to the chicken skewers. If you’re not a fan of chicken, you can substitute the chicken with some other ingredients, like grilled shrimp or even fried fish. The possibilities are endless but the yumminess is still there.
Hope you enjoy these skewers as much as I do and let’s stay connected. You can find me on my website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest… and feel free to say hello because I love meeting new friends!
2 lb boneless & skinless chicken thigh, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tbs lime juices
1 tsp salt
2 tbs vegetable oil
4 tbs sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
24 wooden skewers
2 cups mangoes, cubed
½ cup bell pepper, diced
½ cups peanuts, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallion
3 tbs chopped cilantro
1 tbs jalapeno, remove seeds and diced
2-3 tbs fresh lime juice
- Combine chicken thigh with salt and oil in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Soak wooden skewers in water to prevent burning during cooking.
- Combine the lime juice and sweet soy sauce in a bowl.
- Thread marinated chicken onto skewers. Brush the lime juice mix over chicken.
- Heat a grill pan. Arrange chicken skewers in batches on grill pan and cook until chicken is no longer pink in the center, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Mango salsa: combine all the ingredients and serve over chicken skewers.